Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, July 26, 2010

Design Wall Monday - 7/26/10

Let's just say I am soooo proud of myself! I started this wall quilt at least 3 years ago. The pattern for the cats is from a 2005 magazine and the printed directions for Tonya's letters were printed in 2007 when I made the cats and didn't yet trust myself to make the wonkyWords.

Based on last week's design wall monday post from Annie I was inspired to think about pulling this project out of the UFO box. Then I commented on something on Tonya's blog and heard back from her right away. The combination of the two got me to make some significant progress this weekend.

I think the top, right and bottom edges need another border of the backround fabric and then I might add one colored border. What do you think? Colored border or leave it as is? It could be the fabric used for the cats (not really enuf of any one of the 10 fabrics - original pattern called for scrappy borders), the words or the backing which is another brown. It's just about the right size to hang over my headboard and I'm quite excited to get it up there.

The quote is adopted from an old page-a-day cat calendar. My original plan was to have small, lower case vowels and larger upper case non-vowels. I didn't really keep that in mind as I was making the letter but I think it came out great. I must say, sizing them all to fit together is not really fun but I like the finished words.

I hereby encourage anyone else who has been stalling to make Tonya's letter to get to it!

8 comments:

Chris said...

Cute quilt.

AnnieO said...

Oh! I want to pet them all! Great looking cats, Sarah, and I love the phrase. I had a hard time with Tonya's free-piecing but it was an interesting process--she's a great gal for feedback too. This is a terrific quilt and I can't wait to see how you finish it! Thanks for dropping my name on your blog, glad I helped you remember this UFO :)

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Definitely that colored border! I love it. How wonderfully fun!


glen in Louisiana (who is g today on the list)

Barbara said...

Oh my gosh! As a cat lover I absolutely love this quilt. I agree, a colored border would make it pop. You've done a great job.

Vivian said...

My son's girlfriend has two cats. She would love this quilt.

lj_cox said...

Beautiful quilt! I think a scrappy border, maybe wonky pieced to go with the letters and look like a calico cat would be perfect. When I first read your post I thought you were thinking about a colored border only on the sides that don't have lettering, then a cream border around the whole thing and I thought that might look really neat!

Quilter Kathy said...

Very cool! WHat about a scrappy border of 4 patch blocks that repeat the centre of the cats tails???

Beth said...

Oh I love this! I remember that pattern too..I think I marked it. Did you know that Tonya is working on a wonky letters book? I'm ready!