Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Quilting has begun

I'm afraid you guys are going to be seeing a lot of this in the next few days...


I am doing the straight line stitching right now which, in itself, is quite easy. The hard part is maneuvering the heavy quilt back and forth as I zigzag around the quilt top tracing the seams. At least I was smart enough to start quilting so that there is no more than 2 or 3 rows of blocks under the machine arm at any given time. The drawer and slide out tray are open to distribute the quilt top.

I also discovered that my Halo (rubber coated, heavy iron ring) was quite useful for straight stitching along with my walking foot. I generally only use the Halo for free motion quilting but it's helping me hold my work area flat while I puddle the extra around it allowing it all to move along much easier. I highly recommend the Halo for lots of reasons!

1 comment:

Janet O. said...

I appreciate the info you share here about machine quilting. I haven't attempted it yet, but am gearing up to try soon. I received book recommendations from a few bloggers and after checking reviews, I bought one that just arrived last week. I'm thinking it will wait until summer yardwork is over and I have more indoor time, but I'm collecting what info I can in the meantime. I'm going to look into this Halo thing.