Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Update from the resident hexie-aholic

Remember how I've waited a long time to make this pillow?


And by waiting, I mean waiting for my turn at Hexie Club to receive purple hexies from everyone for my birthday in January and then making/finding the time to make more purple hexies. I figured I needed at least (100) 3/4" purple hexies so when I finally crossed that line this week, I dumped them all in a basket and dug in.


I want the project to be scrappy and random but since I am also a little, teeny bit, anal, I am starting by making 4 of these rosettes with no fabric duplicates in each rosette. Once I get the rosettes done, I'll connect them and fill in with the left over hexies. At some point I will also have to make the denim pillow. LOL.

Photobomb by Midgie!

And because I had to get it out of my system yesterday or nothing else would get done...

Did you catch the vest on Bonnie's blog that was made from a cutter quilt? I have not been able to get it off my mind since it was posted on 3/15/14. I am thinking of using this burnt orange fabric for the path and the cream (hexie!) fabric for the neutral. The blue and purple I just pulled off my messy table cuz I thought they looked nice together. What do you think about the orange? It's been one of my fav fabrics lately but how will it look on a vest? Too dark? My other thought would be all batiks...


I did pull out some of my hexie UFOs last night - Some will be easy to finish and I want to get them back in to rotation. I also found my 1/2" hexie papers with a project I hadn't remembered starting. Anyone know how to get an extra 2 hours a day? I need them to make progress on all these projects...

And, because I was trying to figure out when I became a hexie-aholic for something else, I think this might be it! A little trip down memory lane!

Don't worry, I'm still plugging away on the twisted hexies at work during lunch time...


5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That would be so unique! I did see that vest and what a wow factor for a quilter.

Janet O. said...

I love all of the fabrics you have pulled for the vest, but I guess my determining factor would be what I had to go with it in the way of pants/skirts and tops. If jeans and neutral tops are your plan, go for it.
But I must say, the idea of batiks sounds very nice, too. : )

Missy Shay said...

Since I'm a red head I would not wear orange, but that orange would be great on someone else for this fall. LOL

margaret said...

Now I know what to do with the old jeans my girls have given me!! The pillow looks good and purple hexies will look even better with the denim.
Earlier this week I mastered hexies on the sewing machine, mind you they were not little ones but 3.5", y seams not easy but I managed, not relaxing like doing them by hand but it was a good to have a go

Denise :) said...

I am all for anything that has purple *and* orange in it. Makes me smile. Actually, this whole hexie post makes me LAUGH because, well, you know -- all hexies, all the time! :)