Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Fair Thursday

I've been a lazy photographer at the Fair this year...partly cuz I haven't yet had time to wander and partly cuz I'm having fun doing what I'm doing and not thinking about taking pictures. Yesterday I did my hexies at the LQS booth and then The Boys wanted me to ride the rides with them. It's good to be loved!
Ryan and Tyler

As far as my Home Arts entries, I got a red on my chickadee quilt. The judges comments read along the line of great fabric, nicely quilted and good binding but wavy edges. I think the real issue is the outer border has less quilting (feather) than the inner border (~ribbon candy) and when I washed the quilt it became a little wavy. Of course that is just my translation of the vague comment.

I also got a blue on my hexified jean jacket, doll quilt, table runner and beaded soap dispenser.

As for my Antique entries, I got a blue on everything: salt dips, cheese knife, tea cup, iron bank, tatted hankies and tatting shuttles.

I always help Mom with the antique judging (we run the department) and this year we had a new judge. She was very knowledgeable and willing to answer questions. Awesome, since I know little to nothing about glass/china. She told me that one of my salt dips can be placed in a sunny window for the next 2 or 3 years and depending on what is in the glass, it will change colors and stay that way forever. If there is cobalt it will turn purple. If there is cyanide it will turn yellow. I think I am going to put them all in the window and see what happens.

And my new fav fair food?

Fried Ravioli!!!! Not overly greasy or crunchy but crisp and warm in the center. Yummo!!!

2 comments:

Janet O. said...

Congrats on your ribbons! : )
I find it interesting that you have an antique department that gets judged. We occasionally have someone bring one in for display purposes only, but no judging--and no department.
Fried ravioli? That is a new one to me. Our state fair has a lot of fried food, but our county fair has much less of it. I try to avoid it or I pay a price. I had a chicken taco salad. Not as fun, maybe, but my tummy is much happier.

margaret said...

I think congratulations are in order but not sure what the various coloured ribbons mean. You certainly had lots of entries in the show