Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, October 26, 2015

Design Wall Monday - 10/26/15

I think something's wrong with me...
A mere 17 weeks ago I would have stayed in bed as long as possible on "crisp" mornings and then ran for the couch and a thick afghan to veg in front of the tv with some hexies. In the evenings I would have been back under that afghan for more hexie time and warmth.  Now I almost jump out of bed and spend less time under the afghan. Take this morning. A quick check of the weather app while still under the covers told me it was just 32F. No problem, I can don long underwear under my sweats and add another t-shirt under the turtleneck and hoodie. After a beautiful walk (the stars are still out at 6:45 this time of the year and the sun is rising!!!), I figured I was already outside and might as well rake some leaves. Whoa! Leaves at 7:30 on a workday morning? See! There is definitely something wrong with me!!

Too bad I couldn't get a picture of my furry helper this morning since it was quite cute. Maybe another morning...

The parts for this rosette have been together since February but I set it aside to work on Value Proposition.
I've decided to hang these in the upstairs hall so I can see it come together as I add the monthly rosettes.
There isn't much sun up there so no need to worry about fading and they won't be wrinkled folded in my WIP pile downstairs. I'm clearly behind on the BOM schedule so I'll just ease back in and maybe pick a "small" month to feel like I'm making fast progress.

Anyway, I finally had to do something besides hexies yesterday. Ok, Well I finished the January rosette as shown above, but I needed to work on some *machine* work. And before one can take a project to the machine one must become a rotary cutting fiend. I spent hours this weekend cutting for lotsa projects.

These are the projects I remembered to take photos of. None of them are very far along as I was trying to make progress on too many projects at once.

Yipp. This has got to be the world's most boring picture. I am teaching a jelly roll race in a few weeks and I wanted to make another sample besides the sample at store. Yesterday I cut (36) 2.5" strips. This is all pale grays and then I will machine applique black cat silhouettes over it. I just wanted to give the girls fabric options. I've got the 2 hardest parts (sewing strips end to end and the first long seam) done so the rest should be a piece of cake - well other than finding cat silhouettes... Think Zorro and Squeaky will lie down so I can trace around them?

Christmas is coming and I thought it best to start working on Ryan's quilt. The design uses 4-patches and half-snowball blocks. Easy peasy. I've got probably a third of the 4-patches ready for pressing and I've got more green strips cut to make more. Ryan's color choice was "camo"  so I felt secure in pulling out all kinds of greens to mix in.
This is for another class. This will be the third year that I teach a simple class on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It's always something on the simple side that can become a holiday gift or a charity quilt. Since this was the third year we finally decided the class needed a name. For lack of any inspiration we came up with Turkey Leftovers since most of my projects are scrappy and I think I'll invite the girls to bring turkey leftovers for lunch this year.

There are still a lot more machine projects that need to be worked on this week but considering that something is wrong with me, maybe that won't be much of a problem. LOL. It won't hurt that tax season is winding down a bit and my next hexie trunk show in December is to be much shorter so there is no need to rush to work on more hexie projects. Maybe I can get class samples and gifts finished on time. Oh yeah, and don't forget my first Christmas bazaar is in less than two weeks.

Maybe I should be sewing instead of raking leaves with a furry supervisor...


9 comments:

Julierose said...

boy you have your work cut out for you--literally lolololo....
the projects sound great--hopefully we'll get a peek at those turkey leftovers (yum) This "foodie" needs to know...hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love all the projects in progress. Nothing wrong in getting out and being active - good for you.

Chantal said...

I love your January BOM! I am ashamed to say I am not even finished with January! Good job on all the project progress. Also with all the walking and raking of leaves! Send me some of your "get up and go"!

Ruth said...

I love the Millefiori! Funny thing about that since I'm making one, too.

Janet O. said...

I need some of whatever you are taking to get me outside and working in my yard!! I'm impressed!
Gorgeous work on the Millefiori! Definitely keep it out where you can see it!
How do you keep up with everything--trunk shows, bazaars, classes, yard work?!?

margaret said...

you have put me to shame up and out so early in the cold, well I am up early but not out! Millefiori is a beauty good idea to put it up to inspire you. All that cutting, it is the part I do not enjoy. You will soon have your quilts made, interested to see how the jelly roll race goes, I have 4 in the drawer maybe I should do something with them!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Cooler weather has not made its way South (yet). Am looking forward to wearing layers and raking leaves and hot soups and warm drinks

Denise :) said...

A jelly roll race? I'd like private instructions, please!! Good for you jumping up and out into that crisp air!! You GO, girl!! :)

Karen H said...

So tell me, what do you do in your spare time? :-) You are one busy woman!