Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Design Wall Monday - 8/22/16

First - I just have to get this tragically sad news off my chest - I've had a death in the family.

I was devastated when I realized last Thursday that my iron had died - the heating element had given up the ghost. I'm sure that you can guess I was in the middle of something. It was a slow death instead of the burning plastic/smoking mess the last one went out in...so that's a plus.

It's OK tho - I went to the adoption agency over the weekend. This will be my third of the same model. The first lasted less than 6 months and Walmart replaced it rather quickly after I showed them the stinky burned iron. The replacement iron lasted 4 years to the month. That's $6 a year for a decent  heavy iron and I'm ok with that...

And now you know why nothing from the last week has been ironed...

As some of you may recall, my family runs the antique division at the county fair. 2/3 of our time is supervising which means being available to answer questions of the visitors and workers. And I bet most of you know that I don't sit too well. Instead I work on hexies!!! Hence a VERY productive week.

Of course, now that the fair is over I start one of my other jobs collecting school taxes so the hexies are going to be ignored. It's feast or famine here at Casa Grande...

This is the last of my houses for our hexie club birthday swap.

This is also the last of the Cherrywood honeycombs that I prepared -
 it's time to bite the bullet and find a fabric for the center.





I am definitely getting my "curve" on.
I was trying to press and cut these pieces when the iron died Thursday.
I've only got 7 more pieces to attach...


8 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I had to cover my iron's ears - seems every time mine hear about the loss of a 'cousin', they have to follow suit.

Jo said...

Haha... Last time I dropped my iron, which happens often, I found a cheaper iron I was happy with. I bought 4. I am good at knocking them off the ironing board. I have 2 left...
Very productive though even without an iron

Pamela said...

You are so creative! What great color and shape combinations.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Sharon's comment about "the loss of a cousin" is soooo funny and Jo throwing her's on the floor. Good Grief Charlie Brown. It's really hard to find the iron that feels right to use.

Janet O. said...

RIP, Sarah's Iron.
I think irons are a quilter's nemesis.
I am always in awe of the variety of ways you find to do EPP. They boggle my mind!

Chantal said...

Sorry about the iron!!!! Nice to have a new one though. Wow, you got so much done. I love those pieced hexies. Lovely work Sarah!

Vireya said...

Your pieced hexies are fabulous! Piecing them opens up so many more fascinating design possibilities.

Julierose said...

Love those Cherrywood ones--sad about the iron--a good iron is hard to find (sung to the tune of "A Good Man is Hard to Find" hahaha)--
I am such a lapsed hexie-holic--fell off that wagon...gotta find my mojo again..lovely hexagons you've made...so fancy....hugs, Julierose