Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, January 09, 2017

Mystery Monday and Design Floor Monday

Hello! By Saturday afternoon I had made as many blocks and sashing pieces as I could with the mystery bits that I had completed for clues 1-7. It was time to lay out what I could...

I've already attached sashing to one side of each block.

Love it! Purple/Yellow/Green are my fav colors (in that order!) so this is just the quilt for me. I also like that all the bits are 3.5" - the blocks come together very quickly.


Of course, Bleu thought maybe the blocks weren't laid out quite right.

How's this Momma? Better?

After Bleu helped with the layout I did some math (eek!) to figure out how many more bits of each clue I was going to need to make a 3 by 3 quilt. If my math skills are any good, I think that will net me a 70" square quilt which is plenty big for a couch quilt.

Hey Ma! I'll be here with you while you work on the pink blocks.
We CAN do it together!

On Sunday, I got to work on making the rest of the bits and decided to work on the magenta tr-recs first since it had been the first clue. That and pink is my least fav color so let's just get it out of the way.

OMG - are we done already? I can't take the pink any longer...

You do coordinate your snips to your fabric, right?

I think I needed 28 more purple 4patches. I had just pulled out strips willy nilly and sewn them together with no idea how many twosies or foursies I would get. Well I got 28 4patches and an extra 1/2" of fabric. I couldn't have planned that if I tried.

All that's left to finish is 15 yellow QST. They are half cut out so a few minutes of stitching and I'll have all the bits I need to finish the center. I don't have enough fingers and toes to figure out how many neutral 4patches I'll need but I'll get to that soon enough.

My plan is to lay the blocks out on the floor again (while entertaining Bleu elsewhere. Maybe with Wobbert?) and then lay out all the border pieces to attach to the nearest block. I think  I can sew it together into 3 rows and then sew them together into a finished quilt top. It sounds so much more fun that finishing the center and adding long borders later. I know I'm not the only person to get bogged down with borders...

Linking to Design Wall Monday and Mystery Monday Link Up.


17 comments:

TheEclecticAbuela said...

Beautiful! (So is Bleu)

Daffycat said...

Wow, you're so far along! Looks fab! I am not fond of pink and it took a lot to muster making those tri recs...I was very glad those were the only pink bits, lol.

Jo said...

Looks like you are having so much fun.. they are coming together nicely.

Pamela said...

This is looking great! Cats are so cute when they are "helping".

creations.1 said...

Just loving this quilt - Purple, green, yellow are my favourite colours also - quilts always look so fresh and inviting with those colours!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just fabulous helpers for a fabulous quilt!

Teresa in Music City said...

This is looking fabulous Sarah!!! I'm doing the same size 3x3 :*) You are much further along than I am. I have all the pieces made except the extra I will need for clues 1-5 for that 9th block - I made 6 & 7 this weekend, so I knew ahead of time to cut more. Of course, I couldn't resist stitching one block together. And yes, I get bogged down on borders every time!!! I also have a helper that occasionally has to be distracted to another activity LOL!!!

Missy Shay said...

I like the secondary design of the star that it makes. Cats are great at rearranging blocks!

Ruth said...

Beautiful work! It's going to be some gorgeous quilt!

Karen said...

You are doing great keeping up! Love your pretty kitty.

Janet O. said...

It looks wonderful--I love purple, yellow and green together, too. And pink isn't on my favs list (unless it is a repro and paired with brown).
Are you sure you can lay it out on floor again and get it right without Bleu's help? You are taking a big risk!
Oh, right--my scissors always match my fabric (NOT). But if my fabric happens to be purple, they do. : )

margaret said...

this looks super as you say wonderful olours and the design so good too, have saved the downloads but think my skills need to improve before I tackle this one

Frances Meredith said...

I got my 3 x 3 En Provence completed yesterday. The sums were the hardest part!

Vireya said...

Looks great!

I am avoiding the long borders by adding borders to each of the outside blocks first, before joining them. No need to make long borders when there are so many seams in them!

Denise :) said...

My favorite colors are purple, blue and green (in that order)! We're so close! But I do love a purple/yellow combination. Complementary colors and all that. I think your math is telling you it would make the perfect size for *my* couch. Just saying. Your help is getting better and better! You've got a regular staff! ;)

MissPat said...

I'm doing a 3x3 layout as well. Have 5 purple blocks sewn together but only 4 sashing sections. I chose two lighter yellows because I didn't like the way the brighter yellows dominated. Now I have to lay out some blocks with the magenta pieces. I'm not sure I like them eithed, but have no idea what color to substitute. This may have to simmer while I'm in FL for 7 weeks. I really like the colors (purple is my favorite) but I'm sad that the he purple gets lost in all that yellow.

Quilting Revolution said...

Lovely lovely lovely! Hope to see it (AND YOU) first weekend in February! SMOOCHES! - Jan