Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Monday, May 15, 2017

Design Wall Monday - 5/15/17

Janet - you better sit down again...!

Yesterday morning I was cranky. I hadn't slept well most of the weekend and I managed to twist my ankle Saturday - one week to the hour before my 5K this coming weekend - that meant I couldn't go for my much anticipated longer Sunday walk in an effort to let it rest.

The only solution I could come up with was to start a new quilt. LOL! I thought maybe it would be to start Bonnie's Mack Island blocks but all I managed was to iron the teal fabrics I've been collecting. I'm being gifted the square in square ruler on Tuesday so I put my freshly ironed fabrics to the side for the new ruler.

Then I thought of a block I had seen on Bonnie's blog. I searched for what felt like forever given our lousy cell service and finally found the block (4in9) but couldn't think of what I was going to make with the blocks. I tried doodling in EQ7 but I wasn't inspired. Can you tell I was getting crankier?


I finally pulled out a UFO - probably one of my oldest. I had started cutting pieces when I lived in Miami (Uh, I moved to NY in 2008) based on a magazine article before I found the Rapid Fire Hunter Star ruler by Deb Tucker.

When I had last worked on this project I wasn't sure if I would be able to use that huge stack of blue triangles that were cut from 5 1/8" squares instead of the 6" squares the ruler calls for. Well, in 5 minutes I had sewn a blue triangle to the diamond-trapezoid-diamond piece, sewn the new blue half-block to one of the many, many other completed green halves and measured it with the ruler. It would work perfectly!! I should have spent those 5 minutes years ago but now I'm on a roll.

There really is a lot of wasted fabric this way.
I'll need more blocks so I may cut the large triangles from 5.5" instead of 6" squares.

My next problem to solve is the layout: Original? or Chunky? Which do you prefer?

I like them both and would be happy with either...I'm almost to the point of closing my eyes and just picking one to get on with it. Instead, I'm going with popular opinion. Which ever layout has more votes by Friday will get my full attention this weekend...

This is the Original Hunter Star layout.
I think it's a bit muddled given the same value for both fabrics but it does show the star nicely.


This is what I'm calling the chunky version.
I think it shows the fabrics nicely in the "chunks" but the star is lost.

My plan is to pick a layout and start sewing them together this weekend. I hope to keep working on this quilt, by adding any new blocks to the mothership on a weekly basis. I don't often make 2-fabric quilts so it's new for me to put a quilt together as I go instead of waiting until all the blocks are done and then messing with color balance.

I won't tell you that in adding the label for this post I discovered the 'hunterStar' label already existed. I last posted this project in February 2013 and we had the same layout discussion. When posting your choice here on today's post, please add if it's different from your choice last time...I'd then love to know if you have any insight as to why you did or did not change your mind. Inquiring minds want to know...

=====================================================================
In case you are wondering, the ankle is better today, if not a little tweaky. I was able to get my 3 mile walk in this morning with no problems but my ankles crossed on the coffee table while eating huevos rancheros for breakfast was a whole 'nother story. I'm torn between sticking to my daily walks, uping the length to prepare for Saturday or cutting back to continue letting it rest...

=====================================================================
I published this post and clicked over to Patchwork Times to link up to Design Wall Monday, which, it appears, she is no longer going to host.

A. that means I have to come up with my own post names. Please say it ain't so!!
B. I'm looking for linky suggestions - what is your favorite linky party?


5 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love the blocks. It is hard to tell which layout because the colors look so close on the screen. You moved from Miami to Perry? Interesting.

Janet O. said...

Thanks for the warning, Sarah. I was sitting! Boy, the hexie projects at your house are going to start feeling neglected!
Okay, I looked back at the older post to see if my opinion was the same--it was. I think the complexity of the block is lost in option #2.
I am glad the ankle has improved. But that is a tough call, knowing which option would be best for it.
I had read about the demise of DWM on another blog. I am no help for linky party options, since I don't do any of them. I am such a stick-in-the-mud.

Missy Shay said...

I like the first layout! You should let your ankle rest for at least a couple of days. If you push it too much you might cause it more damage.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I like the original lay out for the hunter star - I took a class for that ruler years ago (the next day forgot how to use the ruler so gave it away). You can visit Beth's Monday Making for posting (button on my sidebar) - saw Judy's update to her website - sadly she is dropping a lot of things

margaret said...

this block looks complicated looking I like the first one best think maybe lots of blocks in the second one might be a bit confusing if you know what I mean more of a jumble. Liking the fabric colours you are using in it who said blue and green should never seen together what rubbish. Good to know the ankle is healing hope you will be able to do the walk at the weekend